MILWAUKEE, WI (February 26, 2019) – Milwaukee World Festival, Inc. and American Family Insurance are excited to announce the inaugural Let The Music Play program grant recipients. Selected organizations represent non-profits or school programs that support music education in Milwaukee County. These programs have a performance element for young people and, in many cases, help to provide access to equipment or musical training that otherwise would have been unavailable to these student communities.
The 2019 grant recipients and their respective programs include:
- Carmen Schools of Science and Technology: Funds will support the middle and high school Drum Line program at the Northwest Campus, costs for percussion clinicians to provide intermediate and advanced training to the students, and supplies and materials.
- Girls Rock MKE: Funds will be used for the purchase of instruments and the maintenance of existing instruments to be utilized during the program, which features campers forming a band, learning to play an instrument, writing music, and performing on stage.
- Milwaukee Youth Symphony Orchestra (MYSO): Funds will be used to support MYSO's Community Partnership Programs, including ten diverse music training and educational options focused on youth who commonly face barriers to music education and study.
- Mitchell School: Funds will be used to purchase a 37-note set of hand chimes and sheet music for school-wide use.
- Townsend Street School: Funds will allow the Townsend student ensemble to purchase sheet music, music stands, microphones, vocal instruction, and various instruments.
- TRUE Skool: Funds will be used to support the afterschool "Just Rockin'" Program, Live Band and to support upgrades, repairs, and refurbishment of band instruments and equipment.
The selected recipients will showcase their talents at Summerfest 2019.
Announced in 2018, the new Let The Music Play grant program supports non-profit organizations and schools that serve Milwaukee County through music based programming for students aged 11 - 18. The program is intended to represent the variety of music based activities taking place in the greater Milwaukee community and is open to programs ranging from band, orchestra and jazz to musical theater and dance. Recipients must demonstrate the ability to present a finished, 7-10 minute performance.
About Milwaukee World Festival, Inc.
Milwaukee World Festival, Inc. is an independent, private 501(c)(3) corporation founded in 1965 that produces Summerfest, presented by American Family Insurance, an 11-day festival that generates approximately $181.3 million in direct and indirect economic impact for the community each year. Milwaukee World Festival, Inc. also maintains Henry Maier Festival Park, located on 75 acres on the shores of Lake Michigan in Milwaukee, WI. In addition to Summerfest, Henry Maier Festival Park hosts a variety of ethnic and cultural festivals, concerts, walks, runs, and other special events, attracting nearly 1.3 million people.
The mission of the organization is to promote an understanding of different ethnic cultures, the histories and traditions of various nationalities, harmony in the community, civic pride and provide a showcase for performing arts, activities and recreation for the public and employment opportunities for the youth of the community. For more details, visit Summerfest.com, Facebook.com/summerfest or Twitter: @Summerfest.
About American Family Insurance
Madison, Wisconsin-based American Family Insurance group is the nation's 13th-largest property/casualty insurance group and ranks No. 311 on the Fortune 500 list. The company sells American Family-brand products, including auto, homeowners, life, business and farm/ranch insurance, primarily through its exclusive agents in 19 states. American Family affiliates (The General and Homesite) also provide options for consumers who want to manage their insurance matters directly over the internet or by phone. Web www.amfam.com; Facebook www.facebook.com/amfam; Twitter www.twitter.com/amfam.