Northwestern Mutual Community Park
New for 2021 - Northwestern Mutual Community Park
We’re redeveloping the children’s theater and playzone into the new Northwestern Mutual Community Park - a premiere destination for families throughout the region.
Grand opening June 2021. The new Northwestern Mutual Community Park will feature:
- Enhanced Play Equipment: All new age-appropriate playground equipment will serve toddlers, preschool-age through school age-children. Interactive musical play will also be incorporated throughout the playground. The play area will include soft surface flooring for safer play, shaded seating area for parents, and be defined by a perimeter fence.
- Flexible Stage: Area will feature a new, permanent stage structure with accessible seating, and a viewing area for over 500 patrons. The performance stage will be elevated, covered, and wheelchair accessible.
- Family Services Building: Addressing the specific needs of families, a new 1,800 square foot, air-conditioned family services building will be fully accessible, and feature the following:
- Permanent Family Restrooms: Accessible restrooms will be equipped with changing tables for babies, children, and adults requiring an assistant.
- Nursing Mothers Stations: Mothers seeking a quiet space to nurse will have dedicated space for that purpose.
- Sensory Rooms: There will be three individual and wheelchair accessible, air-conditioned quiet rooms, creating a calm environment for children that may be overstimulated by the noise, environment, or experience.
- Accessibility: A guiding priority of the design is to offer inclusive play for children who may experience a variety of challenges. The Northwestern Mutual Community Park aims to be one of the most accessible playgrounds in the entire state of Wisconsin.
- Toddler Play Area: The former stage will be converted to a covered play area for toddlers, including shade, and age appropriate activities and equipment.
- Flexible Programming Space: Over 4,000 square feet will be devoted to flexible programming spaces, which will allow local organizations and non-profit partners to provide interactive programming, on a rotational basis.
- Community Engagement: The entertainment presented, as well as the interactive exhibits, will feature various programming produced by Milwaukee-based organizations, representing multiple perspectives.
- Environmentally Conscious Design: The project actively integrates environmentally conscious design, including storm water management; recycled content on playground surface and equipment, and steel structures; LED lighting, and low-energy consumption fixtures; low-flow Zurn bathroom fixtures, and locally sourced products and materials.
A guiding priority of the design is to offer inclusive play for children who may experience a variety of challenges. The Northwestern Mutual Community Park aims to be one of the most accessible playgrounds in the entire state of Wisconsin.